University Records Management
Records management is defined as the "systematic and administrative control of records throughout their lifecycle to ensure efficiency and economy in their creation, use, handling, control, maintenance, and disposition." The University Records Management program assists offices and departments in managing records to meet the administrative, financial, legal and historical needs of the University of Pittsburgh by:
- Developing and training staff on policies and procedures to comply with University practices and federal/state laws
- Establishing records schedules with University departments
- Sustaining and monitoring the University’s relationship with our off-site storage repository, Business Records Management, Inc. (BRM)
- Pursuing collaborative initiatives such as research data management and investigating electronic records guidance
Business Records Management (Access)
As of June 27, 2016, Access has assumed control of the University's contract previously held by BRM/Recall. Moving forward, Access will be the University's service provider for all records management solutions. Access will be replacing all BRM branding throughout the summer of 2016.
Business Records Management, Inc. (BRM) provides departmental accounts with records management solutions, including:
- Secure off-site storage for your records
- Delivery of stored records to your office
- Certified secure records destruction
- Locked records destruction containers
Our services do not extend to University of Pittsburgh regional campuses, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC) or University of Pittsburgh Physicians (UPP).
BRM Service Forms (Access)
Until otherwise notified, all customer service requests can be directed to Access by calling 412-321-0600 or emailing email@example.com.
Use one of the following forms to service your BRM account:
- Supply Order Form
- New Box Submission Form
- Box Retrieval and Return Request Form
- Retrieving and Returning Files & Documents Form
- Revised Transmittal Form
- Destruction Order Form
Use our Form Completion Instructions or contact the University Records Manager if you have any questions.
Regulations and Retention Schedules
The University of Pittsburgh utilizes two records retention schedules which recommend how long records should be maintained by departments. University guidelines on research data management provide management and retention requirements for research data created by University of Pittsburgh researchers.
- General Records Retention Schedule
- Financial Records Retention Schedule
- Guidelines on Research Data Management
Records management, retention and disposition is guided by federal, state and University regulations. Please see our guide on applicable records management regulations for details.
Transfer Records to University Archives
All records of a permanent or historical nature, including all University records pre-dating 1970, should be reviewed by the University Archivist.
If you believe your office has such material please follow our University Archives transfer procedures.