Stark Media Services FAQ
Who can check materials out from the Stark Media Services Center collection?
- Faculty can check materials out for up to one week, and graduate student TAs and TFs teaching during the current term can check materials out for up to three days; materials can be reserved in advance by calling or e-mailing Katie Berry (email@example.com, 412-648-7232) or Bryan McGeary (firstname.lastname@example.org, 412-648-5930)with the name of the film needed, its call number, and the dates it’s required
- Students can check out materials needed for a class they’re currently enrolled in if they print out a Student Requisition Form (PDF), ask their professor to sign it, and bring the completed form to the Stark Media Services Center
- Anyone is welcome to come to the Center to watch materials on-site
Can I borrow AV equipment from the Stark Media Services Center?
All inquiries regarding AV equipment and/or keys should be directed to CIDDE, the University’s Center for Development & Distance Education.
The item I need isn’t in the collection—what can I do?
Media items available from another library within the University of Pittsburgh Library System (from one of our branch campuses, for instance) can be obtained by using Get It!To use Get it!:
- Find the not checked out item in PITTCat+ you want
- Click the Get it! link in the record. Click Get it! on the next screen and follow the on screen prompts
- If the item you need isn’t available from Pitt, you can use our form to ask us to attempt to obtain it from another institution. Please indicate the date you plan on screening the item in the notes field
- Faculty can also ask us to order media items using the Media Request Form
- If you have questions about ordering, please contact Stark Media staff: email@example.com . 412-648-7232 / 412-648-5930
- In some instances it might be possible to rent items from other libraries or institutions. If you have funds available to cover the cost of a rental, or if you have questions about the rental process, please contact Stark Media staff: firstname.lastname@example.org. 412-648-7232 / 412-648-5930
Can I bring in my own earphones and/or watch DVDs from the collection on my laptop?
We have headphones available, but we encourage you to bring in your own! You can watch DVDs from the collection on your laptop or on one checked out from the library, provided you do not remove the DVDs from the Center.
Can I put my own personal copy of a film on temporary reserve at the Media Center for my students to watch?
Instructors can give their own personal copies of films to Media Center staff to be placed on temporary reserve for their students to watch. Instructors should include a note that includes their contact information (name, e-mail, phone number) and information about the course they’re teaching (course name, course number). Personal reserve items can be picked up at any time. Rental items and items from other institutions cannot be placed on reserve.