Accessing Articles, Electronic Books, and Electronic Journals From Off Campus using EZProxy
- The Library has a new system for accessing electronic databases, books and journals from off campus, called EZProxy
- Resources like EBSCOhost, Lexis-Nexis or JSTOR recognize you as an authorized user when you are on campus, but not off campus
- Previously, we used S-Remote for this, and you had to loginto it before using library resources, but no more
- Now, when you are on the library web site EZProxy will know when you need to log in and simply ask for your Pitt username and password the first time you click on a link that requires authentication
- After that, you are done logging in for the duration of your browser session!
What do I need to do to use EZProxy?
EZProxy should require no configuration. Simply log in using your Pitt username and password when prompted.
Yes, you need to configure your browser to accept cookies in order to use EZProxy. You may also need to make sure your browser isn't configured to automatically use another proxy server.
Disable the pop-up blocker while you are using our databases. Securit y/ firewall software, such as Norton Security, should be set to allow cookies..
EZProxy is browser-independent, so it should work with almost any browser. However, if you are having problems that are not related to login information, please try a different browser.
Note that you need a current, active University of Pittsburgh computing account to login. More information on accounts can be found on CSSD's University Computing Accounts page.
Does EZProxy work with Google Scholar?
Pitt users off campus will need to set University of Pittsburgh as their institutional access link in Google Scholar preferences:
- Go to Google Scholar's Settings > Library Links
- Search for University of Pittsburgh
- Select "University of Pittsburgh - Full-Text @ Pitt" and save your settings
- Do your search in Google Scholar
- Click on the link for " Full-Text @ Pit" that will appear to the right of the title of the resource and you'll be prompted to enter your Pitt username and password.
Is SRemote still available?
*Off-campus access to most articles, ebooks, electronic journals, and databases is available only to current Pitt students, faculty, and staff*.