Mobile Device Lending Program- Hillman Library
Who can borrow a mobile device?
- All University of Pittsburgh students, faculty and staff in good standing with current University of Pittsburgh ID cards are eligible to borrow iPads and Laptops.
- You must show your University of Pittsburgh ID when borrowing a mobile device.
What about my liability for the mobile device?
- You are responsible for the mobile device while it is checked out to you. Do not leave a mobile device unattended at any time. If a mobile device is lost, stolen or damaged while it is checked out to you, you are responsible.
- When using a mobile device, please bring any problems to the attention of library staff immediately.
- While using the mobile device, users must also comply with all University of Pittsburgh Computer Account Policies.
In order to borrow a mobile device you must first complete and sign the Mobile device Program Borrower's Agreement. (PDF)
How long can the mobile device circulate?
- Mobile devices are due 8 hours after they are borrowed. Mobile devices must be returned to the Hillman Ground Floor Service Desk one hour before closing.
- When returning a mobile device, you must wait for library staff to check the mobile device for damage and issue you a return receipt, which is proof you returned the mobile device. This process takes several minutes. Disputes about mobile devices and bags can only be resolved upon your presentation of a return receipt.
What are the fines and fees for late or damaged mobile devices?
- The overdue charges for mobile devices are $10.00 per hour, up to four hours. Thereafter, the mobile device is considered lost, and you will be billed for its replacement up to a maximum of $1000.00.
What is loaded on the mobile device?
- The computers enable you to access a variety of research and productivity tools.
- You can also access your email and the World Wide Web.
- Any data you download on the device is not permanent. Laptop users can offload data to USB thumb drives and iPad users must save data to online storage.
A complete list of the hardware and software available on the mobile devices is available: