The East Asian Library doesn't handle circulation. If you want to borrow materials from the East Asian Library, please check out with Hillman Library lending desk (at ground floor of Hillman Library) and follow University Library System borrowing policy.
In certain cases, librarians at the East Asian Library can give special permission for faculty and graduate students to check out non-circulating materials for research and instructional purposes. In this case, Special Permission Procedure should be followed.
The East Asian Library also has its own Closed Collection for on-site use only.
When faculty and/or students request authorization to borrow non-circulating materials (bound periodicals, reference materials) the following guidelines and procedures should be followed:
- Current unbound periodicals are not circulated under any circumstance. Bound periodicals and reference books can be circulated by special permission from the bibliographers or the public services librarian. The bibliographers or the public services librarian determines the loan period for special permission material. Usually the borrowing period will not be more than one week. Other librarians can sign special permissions if none of the designated librarians is available.
- The librarian should fill out the peach colored wrapper, if he/she has determined that the item may be borrowed, and should seal the wrapper on the cover of the item. All materials checked out with special permission must be charged to the patron’s ID at the Lending Desk located at the ground floor of Hillman Library.
- The maximum number of special permission materials is three items at one time.
- All materials are subject to recall immediately when they are requested to be put on course reserve by a professor. When materials are recalled the loan period might be shortened.
- All materials should be returned to the ground floor Lending Desk of the Hillman Library by due date. The materials then should be sensitized and made ready for reshelving.
Mainly to protect the special materials in the East Asian Library’s collection, the Closed Collection includes folded leaves and leaflets. Books with contents that are not appropriate to be put on the open shelves are also housed in the closed collection. All materials in the Closed Collection are under restricted use for patrons.
- Materials in the Closed Collection are housed in the designated cabinets located in the East Asian Library office (Room 207, Hillman Library) with special location code (eaclose).
- The materials in the Closed Collection are circulated by special permission from the bibliographers or the public services librarian. All the materials can be used on-site at the Hillman Library during the business hours of the East Asian Library.
- When patrons use materials from the Closed Collection inside the Hillman Library, bibliographers or the public service librarian should fill out a request form with information about the patron, the material being used by the patron and the time to be returned. The materials must be returned to the bibliographers or the public service librarian or a designated staff in the East Asian Library. Bibliographers and the public service librarian are responsible for re-shelving materials returned by the patron.