(*Please note: research databases are for current students, staff, and faculty at the University of Pittsburgh. If you are at an off-campus computer, you must log in here to be able to use these licensed resources.)
- Business and Company Resource Center* This database draws its information from print sources such as the International Directory of Company Histories and Notable Corporate Chronologies. These are the key sources for company histories.
- National Newspapers* Provides full text access to the Wall Street Journal, among other major newspapers
- Mergent Online* (note the “history” tab)
- Read a company's annual report or visit their website to see if a history is included. (Note that these company histories are produced by the company itself. Always take this perspective into account when evaluating the information.)
- Mergent Web Reports* provides online access to the Moody’s Manuals, The entries include brief histories of public companies.
- Search for books that contain corporate histories. Books about a company often include historical background. Do a keyword search in PITTCat+ to find any books in the University of Pittsburgh libraries which cover your company's history.
- Use Global Books In Print* or WorldCat* to identify books outside of Pitt’s library system. You can request these books here: Requests From Other Libraries.
- Search for articles in business and trade magazines or journals. Sometimes major news event articles will provide a brief company history.
Books from the Reference Collection
Mergent / Moody's Manuals
This multi-volume set includes a brief history in each entry. Some histories, however, are extremely brief. Public companies only.
BUSINESS LIBRARY - Reference
HILLMAN LIBRARY - Reference (HG4961 M67)
Please Note: Current and historic Moody's Manuals are available online through the database Mergent Web Reports*. These volumes are an excellent resource for historical facts and figures. Historic print volumes are located in our storage facility. Please ask a librarian for assistance.
International Directory of Company Histories
Provides extensive histories on over 6,850 companies. Most companies included have a minimum of $25 million in annual sales and are leading influences in their industries or geographical locations. Most are public companies, but some private and non-profit corporations are included. Use the cumulative index in the latest volume available to see if your company is profiled or mentioned anywhere in the series.
BUSINESS LIBRARY - Reference (HD2721 I63)
HILLMAN LIBRARY - Reference (HD2721 I63)
(Please Note: this content is also available in Business and Company Resource Center*)
Notable Corporate Chronologies
A collection of chronologies for over 1,500 corporations. Each timeline lists and briefly describes 30 or more key dates that mark major events in a corporation's life story. Included are dates for founding, major product introductions, tenures of pivotal executives, major scandals, mergers and acquisitions, and major stock offerings.
HILLMAN LIBRARY - Reference (HG4009 .N68) Please Note: this content is also available in Business and Company Resource Center*
Capital Changes Report: Lists key events in the history of a corporation's stock.
BUSINESS LIBRARY - Reference
F & S Index
An index to articles in many business and trade magazines. The print version of this index is arranged such that you can look up a company's name and obtain a list of all reported events and activities of that company for a given year.
BUSINESS LIBRARY - Journals (1990-2008 )
Wall Street Journal Index
An index to articles in The Wall Street Journal. This index is arranged such that you can look up a company's name and obtain a list of all reported events and activities of that company for a given year. Issues back to 1970 are available.
BUSINESS LIBRARY – Journals