Available in Documenting Pitt and dating to the 19th century, the College Journal (35 issues) was the first known publication of the University that was edited by the students and whose audience included students, alumni and others in the University community. Its purpose was to develop the talents of English composition and Journalism students. Most of the articles were written by students although some were re-published from other college papers. The College Journal began publishing monthly in October 1869, but between 1874 and 1879 it apparently stopped publishing regularly. The first issue of 1879 was published under the auspices of the University’s two literary societies: the Irving Society and the Philomathean Society. The University Archives holds scattered issues of Volumes 1-5 (1869-1874) and Volume 9 (1879-1880), which are all now digitized.